Friday, December 6, 2013

For your crabby reading pleasure 3

From the New York Times, a sappy little recurring feature in which some rich guy you never heard of provides one paragraph's worth of "wisdom:"

How to Multitask
By Matthew Mellon

I find that I'm a much more efficient multitasker if I talk about the big picture and don't waste a lot of time on specifics.  People can be slow and too specific with detail.  I prefer to just lay down the footprint, then worry about the specifics.  Otherwise you just get too overwhelmed.

--------

Personally I find that it's more efficient if you never get to the specifics at all.  That's what your people are there for, right?

5 comments:

  1. this concept of just looking at the big picture - reminded me of a quote from Nancy Pelosi "“we have to pass the bill so that you can find out what is in it " I'm quite sure she could use some decent people to iron out the specifics right about now

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathy, I can count on you to provide a chuckle when I need it. And I like the reminder that we have people, too, and they can come to our rescue.
    Martha Ginn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like last week when I Iost my cat--the vet, the singers at the concert, the friends who came to my exhibit--all comforted me, some not even aware of what they were giving. These are who I call "my people."
    Martha Ginn

    ReplyDelete
  4. As for multi-tasking ... isn't the received wisdom that this is a skill rarer in the male gender than teeth in hens?

    ReplyDelete