Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Daily art -- whatever happened to the bundles?


When I wrote last week about my various daily art endeavors, Sandy asked how I ever decided to display my bundles, my weekly art project in 2011.  I wish I had an answer.

As I made my bundles or packages, I simply deposited them into a big shopping bag in the closet under the stairs with the luggage.  My thought was that someday perhaps I could find an opportunity to display them all together.  I still think that would be a nifty idea, but so far I haven't found such an opportunity.  At the end of the year I did photograph all of the bundles (except from my week at the beach; those bundles were MIA for a year and a half and have only recently resurfaced) but not well enough to make the photos into a little book or anything. an obvious first step would be to reshoot them on a better background than my green cutting mat.

I also have no good answer for my collages, this year's daily art project.  They are display-friendly because I chose to use the same size support throughout the year (old library card catalog cards) but I haven't figured out what to do with them.  An easy solution would be to mount them in an album but that seems a bit unimaginative.  If I ever have the opportunity to show them in public I'd probably go low-tech and simply pin them to the wall.

Here they are now.

Wouldn't it be nice to be in the High Art Club and be able to just call up your gallery and schedule a show whenever you had a bunch of stuff ready for public viewing?  I am still jealous of an artist, Nancy Chunn, who decided to do a daily art project in 1996 (every day she took the front page of the New York Times and annotated/embellished/drew all over it).  She had to really rush at the end of the year because her gallery had scheduled a show of the entire year's work to begin on January 11.  By the way, her book about the project is magnificent and you can get one on Amazon for 99 cents.


No comments:

Post a Comment